As seasons change, so does the type of maintenance your home needs. No matter where you live, there are plenty of seasonal tasks that can break the bank. As a homeowner, staying proactive throughout the year is one of the best ways to ensure that your house is in tip-top shape, rain or shine.
Whether you live in a state with icy winters or somewhere on the sunny west coast, here are some steps you can take to make sure your house stands the test of time.
Spring Home Maintenance Checklist
Spring isn't just a month for cleaning - now that ice has melted from the roof and snow has cleared from the ground, it is also the best season to plan for summer projects and repair any damage that occurred during winter. Here are some home maintenance projects that you can prioritize during springtime:
- Perform a roof inspection: Spring is the perfect time to schedule a roof inspection with a HomeProMatch contractor! After winter, it's necessary to make sure that there isn't any water damage, missing or broken shingles, or other roof problems.
- Clean out clogged gutters: Once gutters are clogged, they can overflow and spillover. All this can cause severe water damage to the home's interior, siding, roof, and foundation. Proactively cleaning out your gutters or calling a contractor to help is a great way to prevent buildup before any more seasonal rain.
- Re-landscaping: No matter where you live, re-landscaping is an excellent springtime investment, and not just for curb appeal either! Choosing low-water plants or sustainably landscaping is an excellent future investment for your time and wallet. A professional HomePro Match landscaper can also provide landscape design, garden maintenance, landscape edging, and other services.
- Check for air leaks: Is your home feeling draftier or more uncomfortable lately? Winter weather can cause gaps and cracks in your home's building envelope. Once winter is over, contact a HomePro Match contractor to conduct an energy audit. They can pinpoint areas where your house is losing energy and provide air sealing, home insulation, window replacements, and other cost-saving upgrades where needed.
- Inspect your HVAC system: During winter, your heating system works overtime to keep the home toasty - but that can take a toll on your HVAC unit. When it comes to creating a comfortable home during the upcoming summer months, you'll want the most energy-efficient and reliable air conditioning performance. Calling a HomeProMatch inspector will ensure that your HVAC system is ready for summer!
Summer Home Maintenance Checklist
Summer is the perfect time for home renovations and other projects. Whether you're thinking about redesigning your kitchen, adding a bathroom, making roof repairs, or exterior home painting, this season is the perfect time to prioritize long term home projects.
- Exterior home painting: A fresh coat of paint can bring new life to your home's appearance and boost its curb appeal. You can also better protect your home's exterior too, depending on the paint you choose. With the sunny, warm weather, this is the perfect time to paint your home. Contact a HomePro Match painter for a seamless, beautiful, and durable finish!
- Prioritize long-term home projects: The summer is also the perfect time to kickstart renovations that can take days, weeks, or months, including window replacements, door upgrades, siding repairs, and more.
- Powerwash house and windows: Although washing your home's exterior sounds labor-intensive, it's a great way to clean mold, mildew, and other contaminants that can lead to damage. Need help? A HomePro Match contractor can do all the work, keeping your home safe and beautiful.
- Pest control & extermination: The sun is out, the weather is bright, and while all may seem well, it is typical for bugs and other pests to invade the home or yard. Contact a HomePro Match exterminator for quick and reliable pest control services, including termite treatment, mosquito control, bed bug treatment, rodent control, and more.
- Roof repairs & replacements: Since roof projects can take anywhere from under a day to a week to complete, it is best to perform them in warm, sunny weather. This makes summer the perfect time for roof repairs or replacements. Contact a HomePro Match contractor for professional roofing services!
- Siding repairs & replacements: If your siding is looking worn, damaged, or old, then it probably isn't doing much for your home's curb appeal, security, or energy-efficiency. Siding projects can take anywhere from under a day to two weeks to complete. Take this opportunity to get outdoors and fix your siding. Contact a siding contractor from HomePro Match to get started today.
Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Winter can be cold, icy, and filled with snow for some places. This cold weather can take a toll on your home. But there's no reason to worry - there are plenty of steps you can take this fall to avoid damage to your home this winter.
- Landscape maintenance: Fall is the perfect time for homeowners to prepare and clean their lawns to ensure spring growth. Be sure to rake all debris and leaves, regularly mow the lawn, cut down low-hanging tree branches, treat the grass, and get rid of pests. Not sure where to start? A HomePro Match landscaper can provide tree trimming, lawn care, garden maintenance, and other services.
- Clean clogged gutters: Water damage can quickly turn into a costly and complicated issue for your home's interior, foundation, roof, and siding. That's why it is important to check for any gutter blockages before any winter snowstorms.
- Shut off exterior pipes: If you live in a cold-weather state, frozen and burst pipes can lead to crawl space or basement flooding and costly water damage. That is why it is necessary to shut off exterior faucets, pipes, and hoses.
- Prevent frozen and burst pipes: Do you have pipes running through unheated areas of the home? If pipes become too cold, they can freeze and burst, causing crawl space or basement flooding and extensive water damage. Prevent these issues by winterizing and insulating these pipes.
- Check your sump pump: If the drainage line becomes clogged or isn't sloped, then the water will be obstructed and freeze. Once water cannot pass through, the system won't drain properly and lead to a flooded basement or crawl space.
- Chimney cleaning: Nothing beats a cold winter day like resting near a roaring fireplace. But if your chimney is damaged or dirty, this can cause a dangerous fire. Keep your home safe and comfortable by scheduling a chimney inspection and cleaning with a qualified HomePro Match contractor.
- Check your HVAC system: Is your HVAC unit ready to heat your home this winter? If your heating unit is wasting energy, damaged, or too old, you could be spending more to heat your home. Contact a HomePro Match contractor to inspect your heating and cooling unit before this happens.
- Schedule a home energy audit: If your home has drafty windows, insufficient attic insulation, or other building envelope issues, then you may be spending more to keep your home warm. With an energy audit, a HomePro Match contractor can pinpoint weak areas of your home's building envelope and recommend cost-saving upgrades.
- Prevent ice dams: Ice dams are often a result of faulty attic insulation, poor attic ventilation, roof leaks, and other roof problems. Once ice dams form, they can break off and cause damage to roof shingles, the soffit, gutters, and siding. An experienced HomePro Match contractor can provide a roof inspection, point out areas that are vulnerable to ice dams, and complete repairs if needed.
- Schedule an electrical inspection: Winter brings shorter days and longer nights - this means more time indoors and a greater strain on your electrical system. Make sure your electricity is working so your fixtures and appliances operate efficiently. A licensed HomePro Match electrician can help!
Winter Home Maintenance Checklist
When it comes to winter, homeowners aren't usually completing much maintenance. Instead, you should use this time to settle in, be proactive, and tend to smaller details.
- Check for water leaks: Has the cold winter weather created any holes in the basement, crawl space, or attic? Keep an eye out for small leaks so you can fix water damage before it becomes a complicated and costly problem.
- Remove ice dams: When ice dams break off, they can damage roof shingles, the soffit, gutters, and more. If an ice dam has formed, make sure to safely remove them or contact a reliable HomePro Match roofer to help. They can also recommend how to prevent them in the future!
- Trim low-hanging tree branches: Fallen tree branches can cause major damages to the home, including roof damage, down power lines, damaged shingles, and more. If you see low-hanging branches around your home, trim them immediately or contact a HomePro Match landscaper for tree trimming services.
- Inspect the building envelope: If your home is feeling drafty, then there may be gaps in your windows or doors, insufficient insulation, or other home energy issues. An experienced HomePro Match contractor can pinpoint weak areas of your home's building envelope, recommend upgrades that can lower your utility costs, and create a more comfortable home.
Let HomePro Match help with your seasonal checklist
Overall, every season has its own home maintenance challenges. When it comes to preserving a healthy home, being proactive is the name of the game. Have questions? Reach out to our qualified customer service team or contact a certified HomeProMatch contractor to help today!