Waterproofing your basement not only adds home value, but saves you money in the long run!
Basement waterproofing has many benefits that play out over time. A large number of homes with existing basements in America face water intrusion issues, and older homes with basements often employ outdated waterproofing methods and materials. The presence of a wet basement can drop the projected value by up to 25% according to real estate statistics.
The Many Benefits Of Basement Waterproofing
There are lots of benefits to waterproofing your basement. As the years go on, you're likely to encounter a pile up of small issues that require costly repair. Cracks, leaks, mold and mildew aren't issues that can be easily brushed under the rug, and demand time, attention and your hard earned money.
Far from only being a way to boost property value, basement waterproofing also:
- Increases Your Home's Viable Living Space: When the basement is fully waterproofed and protected from leakage you can then utilize the space for any number of other purposes. Waterproofed basements can serve as laundry rooms, play areas, a home office, a gym or any other use that you desire.
- Improve Household Health: Our homes are made from a majority of natural materials which are susceptible to mold, mildew and rot. Mold grows at an incredibly fast rate, needing only natural material and moisture to feed and spread, posing a risk to you, your home, and your family.
- Protect Your Foundation: Waterproofing your basement has the added benefit of protecting your foundation! The foundation of your home is the most integral part of the structure, and must be well cared for to properly maintain a home's integrity. With the walls of your foundation buried within the earth, they are susceptible to groundwater that can cause shifting soil and erosion which can destabilize the structure of your home over time.
- Prepare For Further Renovation Projects: If you are planning to use your basement for a purpose other than storage and as placement for household systems, you'll want the space to be water, mold and rot resistant in order to protect any personal belongings, furniture, decor or electrical that you choose to place within the area.
- Reduce Insurance Claims: Water damage claims make up a large percentage of insurance claims submitted by homeowners each year. Basement flooding can involve cracks, soft or crumbling structural materials such as wood, drywall and others which can eventually lead to foundation destabilization if not properly dealt with, leading to costly repairs and extended renovation work. It's important to remember that water damage can occur outside of major floods and violent weather events--a small, slow leak can do just as much damage as a large, sudden influx of water can.
- Lower Heating & Cooling Bills: If you're dealing with stubborn indoor temperatures or uncomfortable humidity, the issue could lie within your basement. Excessive moisture in the basement can throw off the interior environment of the home, causing your HVAC system to have to work harder than it should to try to counteract the uncomfortable indoor environment. Waterproofing the basement is a great way to solve this issue, while also protecting your home and health!
- Increase Property Value: Investing in a fully waterproofed basement is an excellent way to drive up your ROI (Return On Investment) if you're ever thinking of selling your home in the future. Buyers tend to shy away from homes with damp, damaged basements--so waterproofing is a good way to stay ahead of these issues and ensure that your selling price will be the highest it can be. All of the benefits of basement waterproofing lend a hand in driving up the value of your home--a properly waterproofed basement is a valuable thing to have!
Finding a Basement Waterproofing Contractor
When considering a large home project, it can be stressful to find and select a reputable contractor to work with. That's where HomeProMatch comes in! With a nationwide database of local, expertly trained and experienced contractors specializing in a wide variety of home services, HomeProMatch is here for you and all of your home service needs. Reach out for your free, no-obligation estimate, today!